Now that you've accepted a job, it's time to show your employer that he or she made the right decision in hiring you!
Here are a few tips:
- Keep a positive attitude. Accept criticism while remembering that nobody's perfect. Take heed of suggestions for improving your work.
- Be on time and stick to your work schedule.
- Dress appropriately. Follow the lead of your supervisor and colleagues.
- Accept responsibilities. Know what your employer expects of you. If you're not sure, ask.
- Treat everyone with respect. Being respectful is the key to a healthy work environment.
- Show initiative. Don't always wait to be told what to do. If you see that a job needs doing, offer to do it.
- Be reliable. If you say you're going to do something, do it.
- Support your colleagues and show team spirit.
- Control your emotions. Don't let little misunderstandings blow up into major conflicts. Settle differences calmly and objectively. Displays of anger are frowned upon and could result in your losing your job.
- Learn how to disagree in a constructive manner, while proposing solutions.
- Speak well of the company you work for.
- Don't let your family or personal problems affect your behaviour in the workplace.
- Don't let workplace problems get you down; there's always an adaptation period.