Read Seal Trades

Would you like to work elsewhere in Canada? Are you wondering whether your certificate of qualification is valid in the other provinces?

The purpose of the Read Seal Trades is to favour labour mobility in Canada and allow skilled workers to practise their trades in the participating provinces and territories.

To find out which trades are recognized under the Red Seal Program, see the list of Red Seal tradesOpens external link in new window..

Under the Agreement of Canadian free trade agreement (CFTA), a worker holding certification in a regulated trade has access to interprovincial labour mobility, whether or not the worker’s certification bears a Red Seal endorsement.

Who is targeted by the program?

To obtain Red Seal certification, you have to:

  • hold a certificate of qualification issued by Emploi-Québec or the Commission de la construction du Québec (CCQ)
  • pay the required fees

Emploi-Québec currently grants Red Seal certification for 41 of the 58 trades covered by the program.

How to obtain Red Seal certification

To obtain Red Seal certification, you have to take an exam aimed at making sure that your training and skills meet the interprovincial standards for your trade.

If you pass the exam, you will be granted Red Seal certification to practise your trade. You may also have to take a practical exam if you are a welder or a hairstylist.

After completing these steps, you can register with Emploi-Québec for an examination session.

Questions & Answers

Which Red Seal Program certificates are recognized by Emploi-Québec?

Emploi-Québec recognizes most of the Red Seal certificates issued by the other Canadian provinces and territories.

Is my trade covered by the Red Seal Program?

To find out whether you can obtain Red Seal certification, see "Annexe 3 – Programme des normes interprovinciales Sceau rouge (PNI)" (French only) in the Information Guide – Enrolment Application – Qualification Program (PDF, 1.3 MB).

What is the passing grade for the Red Seal exam?

To pass the examination you have to obtain a grade of 70%.

How can I prepare for the Red Seal exam?

We suggest that you proceed as follows to get ready for the examination:

  • Consult the Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Exam Preparation Information Guide, available on the Red Seal website.
  • Read the information made available by the Commission de la construction du Québec (CCQ)Opens external link in new window.  if you hold a competency certificate issued by the CCQ.
What happens if I fail the exam?

If your grade is under 70% you are entitled to a make-up exam.

If you fail the make-up exam, you will have to prove that you have upgraded your skills by providing Emploi-Québec with an attestation confirming that you have successfully completed training.

  • The training must have been given by the Commission de la construction du Québec (CCQ), a school board or a recognized establishment (CMMTQ, ÉTG, etc.) as applicable.

If you have failed the Red Seal exam in another province, you can register for an examination session in Québec subject to the applicable conditions.

Am I eligible for an apprenticeship grant?

If you are an apprentice in a trade for which Emploi-Québec offers Red Seal certification, you may be eligible for apprenticeship grants from the federal government during your apprenticeship and at the end of your apprenticeship program once you receive your certificate of qualification from Emploi-Québec.

The Apprenticeship Incentive Grant is a taxable cash grant of $1,000 per year, up to a maximum of $2,000 per apprentice. For more information, see the AIG webpageOpens external link in new window..

The Apprenticeship Completion Grant (ACG) is a single-payment, taxable cash grant of $2,000. It is available to apprentices who have successfully completed their apprenticeship and obtained their certification. For more information, see the ACG webpageOpens external link in new window..

For general information about apprenticeship grants, contact Service Canada or a Service Canada Centre at 1-866-742-3644 or, if you are hearing impaired, 1-866-909-9757.